The more health-conscious and eco-conscious we become, the more awareness and conviction we gain about the importance of using non-toxic products. And when it comes to toxins, the cleaning products we use to clean our homes and workplaces are amongst some of the worst offenders. This is why an increasing number of people each day are turning away from conventional chemical cleaners.
Of course, the chemical cleaner companies caught on and quickly rolled out some products that were branded as “green” or “eco” options. However, as has been shown, commercial “green” cleaners are more hyped up than they deserve to be because they are not that much better than their conventional counterparts. To get an authentically less-toxic or non-toxic product, we must go to the brands that are providing honest “natural” cleaners. There are many natural cleaning products available today that offer much safer cleaning options.
One of these truly safe and natural products, which surpasses and outranks all of the others, is the Universal Stone. This eco-friendly product cleans, polishes, and preserves all smooth surfaces. In fact, it has so many amazing qualities that I have made it my go-to cleaning product and wish to share about it with you in the following review article.
About the Universal Stone
- The Universal Stone is made in Germany by Zielinsky Universal-Stone.
- It is made of six natural ingredients: Earth/polishing clay, glycerin, green soap, soap flakes, vegetable oils, and natural citronella oils.
- It is a polishing and cleaning stone that is all-natural, biodegradable, child and pet-friendly, completely non-toxic, acid-free, phosphor free, gentle on the skin, non-abrasive, and non-allergenic.
- The stone has been tested by the allergy and asthma research center and was found to be safe for use by allergy and asthma sufferers.
- It works on all smooth surfaces including metals, tubs, sinks, cabinets, granite, tiles, marble, stoves, toilets, glass, crystal, painted wood, acrylic, bikes, and most other indoor and outdoor equipment.
- The stone comes in a plastic tub with a screw-on lid, both of which are fully recyclable when the product is all finished. The two most common sizes are 650 grams (22.93oz) and 900 grams (31.75oz). The tubs can last for months or years depending on how much cleaning one does with them, but regardless they do not go bad or have an expiry.
- Each tub of the product comes with at least one cleaning sponge to be used with the product.
To learn more about it in English, please visit the Universal Stone website.
How to Clean With the Universal Stone
The Universal Stone comes in a plastic container with a screw-on lid. Upon opening the tub, there is a white, solid material. All you need to do is wet the sponge that it comes with and rub it across the stone a few times. If you then rub the sponge itself in your hands, it will create a bit of white foam. You are now ready to use the sponge to clean any applicable surface. For example, if washing sinks, tubs, or showers, move the sponge around on the surface the same way you would any other sponge with a cleaner on it. If you let the moistened universal stone sit on the surface for a few minutes (around 5 to 15 minutes), it will have even deeper cleaning power to remove stains and residues. When you are ready to finish, rinse or wash off the surface well. You will know if you have not rinsed it off properly, as it will leave a slight white powdery residue. Finally, if the object you are cleaning is intended to be polished, use a dry or damp cloth to remove any of the moisture from the surface for a sparkling final appearance.
Personal Experience of Cleaning with the Universal Stone
I have to say for me this is as good as it gets. I started using this stone in 2010 when I first learned about this product and wrote the initial version of this review article, and I am still using it as my primary and top-choice cleaner ten years later in 2020. This product has completely transformed my cleaning approach, and it has allowed me to get rid of and replace several cleaning products with just this one. I don’t buy a separate surface cleaner or bathroom cleaner or kitchen cleaner; I only use the Universal Stone.
I have found cleaning with the stone to be super easy, safe, and effective. Perhaps best of all, no fragrances or harmful particles are being emitted via any chemical cleaning or spray product. My favorite items to clean with it are the bathroom ceramic sink, the bathroom countertop, the kitchen stainless steel sink, the kitchen countertop, the shower stall, the bathtub, and any silver or metal jewelry and other items. It works so great and leaves a beautiful sparkle! It has removed iron stains and hard-water residue flawlessly from ceramic surfaces, as well as turmeric stains from various kitchen objects. After all these years, I am still blown away by how versatile and valuable this product is. It is safe to say that it fully lives up to its name as the Universal Stone.
I also appreciate that this product is made in Europe, which has stringent standards for cleaning products and handles toxic ingredients in a completely different way than North America. This product is not just safe for the environment, and an authentically green and eco-friendly product, but it is also safe to work with. You do not need any gloves, as it is not abrasive and no scents or sprays means that you do not have to worry about inhaling any toxic chemicals or getting them into your eyes. The Universal Stone truly has our health and safety in mind, which should always be our top priority.
The Universal Stone is available at select grocery, hardware, natural health, and specialty stores. However, the easiest and surest place to get it is online, as follows:
For customers in the United States, the Universal Stone can be purchased on Amazon.com here:
For customers in Canada, the Universal Stone can be purchased on Amazon.ca here:
For customers in Europe, the Universal Stone can be purchased directly from the Universal Stone Manufacturer.
In summary, the Universal Stone provides a cleaning product that:
- Is truly all-natural
- Is non-toxic
- Is biodegradable
- Is multi-purpose
- Has excellent cleaning ability
- Has excellent stain-removing ability
- Has excellent polishing ability
- Is suitable for most hard surfaces
- Is non-abrasive
- Is gentle on the skin
- Is non-allergenic
- Is safe for asthma and allergy sufferers
- Is safe for kids and pets to touch and be around
- Is acid-free
- Is phosphor-free
- Has an unlimited shelf-life
- Is vegetarian-friendly
- Is effectively priced
- Comes in convenient reusable and recyclable packaging