This salad offers a sweet and juicy way to enjoy the health benefits of cabbage, along with the crunchy delight of almonds. It is rich in micronutrients and health enhancing phytonutrients. It is naturally low in sodium and fat, cholesterol free and high in fiber. This salad makes a great snack or side to your favorite healthy meal.
TYPE: Salad, Snack, Appetizer
PREPARATION: < 15 mins
SERVINGS: makes a large bowl of salad to share among several portions, or store
- Refined Sugar-free
- 1/2 of a large or 1 small Red Cabbage (organic)
- 3 – 4 Apples (organic)
- 4 tbsp (or more) of Apple Cider Vinegar (organic, raw)
- 1/2 cup (or more) of sliced or slivered almonds (organic, raw)
- Food Processor
- Cutting Board
- Wash and remove the outer layers of the cabbage, and cut into portions that will fit into the mouth of your food processor.
- Using a shredding disc, shred the cabbage and place into a large bowl.
- Wash the apples, cut and core them. Using the same disc, shred the apples using the food processor and place into the bowl with cabbage.
- Drizzle at least 4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and mix the three ingredients really well to distribute the apples within the cabbage.
- Taste to see if you would like to add more apple cider vinegar to adjust to your taste buds.
- Stir in the almonds, serve and enjoy.
- Refrigerate leftovers in a sealed container.
Meal Nutritional Benefits
- member of the nutrient-dense cruciferous family
- Source of (in descending order): vitamin K, vitamin C, fiber, manganese, vitamin B6, folate, omega 3, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, calcium, potassium, vitamin A, tryptophan, protein and magnesium
- cleanses cells, fights free radicals, protects against cancers, promotes gastrointestinal health, promotes women’s health, promotes cardiovascular health and naturally can treat peptic ulcers
- red cabbage specifically has been shown to protect against Alzheimer’s disease
- For more information, visit the cabbage detailed overview from World’s Healthiest Foods
- Excellent source of flavenoids that act as antioxidants
- good source of (in descending order): fiber, vitamin C, potassium, vitamin K, vitamin B6 and others
- enhances proper cardiovascular health, provides protection against cancers, enhance proper digestion, enhance proper blood sugar, prevent kidney stones and promote overall good health
- for more information, visit the apples detailed overview from World’s Healthiest Foods
- are a protein powerhouse and rich in many nutrients
- good source of (in descending order): manganese, vitamin E, magnesium, tryptophan, copper, vitamin B2, and phosphorus
- lower bad cholesterol, reduce risk of heart disease, provide protection against diabetes, provide protection against cardiovascular disease, promote healthy weight, prevent gallstones and help with energy production
- for more information, visit the almonds detailed overview from World’s Healthiest Foods
Apple Cider Vinegar
- Contains a host of vitamins, beta-carotene, pectin and vital minerals such as potassium, sodium, magnesium, calcium, phosphorous, chlorine, sulphur, iron, and fluorine
- Pectin in the vinegar is a fiber which helps reduce bad cholesterol and helps in regulating blood pressure
- Helps extract calcium from the fruits, vegetables and meat it is mixed with, helping in the process of maintaining strong bones
- The potassium in this vinegar also helps in eliminating toxic waste from the body
- The beta-carotene helps in countering damage caused by free radicals, helping one maintain firmer skin and a youthful appearance
- Contains malic acid which is very helpful in fighting fungal and bacterial infections, as well as dissolving uric acid deposits that form around joints, helping relieve joint pains
- Helps with weight loss as it has properties that help to break down fat
- It is also claimed that apple cider vinegar is helpful in ailments such as constipation, headaches, arthritis, weak bones, indigestion, high cholesterol, diarrhea, eczema, sore eyes, chronic fatigue, mild food poisoning, hair loss, high blood pressure, obesity, along with a host of many other ailments
- For more information visit Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar