This is a unique, refreshing and simple salad that can be used as an appetizer or side. It is especially good for kids who do not like eating greens as the nuts and mandarins add some great flavors to this salad. It is rich in micronutrients and fiber, and contains proteins, healthy fats and carbohydrates. It also provides an easy way to incorporate a serving of the highly beneficial Salba (or chia) seeds into your day.
TYPE: Salad, Appetizer
PREP TIME: < 15 mins
SERVINGS: not set, depend on personal preferences and needs
- Refined sugar-free
- Green Leaf Lettuce (organic)
- Fresh Mandarins, Clementines, Tangerines or Oranges (organic)
- Brazil Nuts (organic)
- Chia seeds (organic) – 2 tbsp per serving
- Salad spinner (optional)
- Cutting board
- Wash the lettuce leafs and shake the excess water or dry off using a salad spinner if present.
- Cut up lettuce leafs with a knife, vertically and horizontally into bite size pieces. Place desired amount into bowl.
- Peel and cut up the mandarin (or similar fruit) slices into small pieces. Place on top of the lettuce.
- Place a desired amount of brazil nuts on top of the other ingredients.
- Sprinkle your salad with 2 tablespoons of Salba (or organic chia seeds) for extra nutritional benefits. May wish to drop this to one tablespoon for younger kids.
- No need to add dressing to this salad as the citrus fruit gives the salad its own juiciness and refreshing taste. Enjoy.
Meal Nutritional Benefits
Green Leaf Lettuce:
- good source of: water, fiber, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin A, vitamin C and magnesium
- contain antioxidant properties to prevent cancer, enhance healthy immune function and promote a healthy digestive system
- for more information, visit the green leaf lettuce detailed overview from Nutrition Data
- adds sweetness and tang to the salad
- good source of (in descending order): vitamin C, vitamin A, potassium, vitamin B1, calcium, magnesium, vitamin B2, vitamin B3, phosphorus, manganese, copper, iron and vitamin E
- contain antioxidant properties to prevent cancer, enhance healthy immune function and promote overall good health
- for more information, visit the mandarin detailed overview from Nutrition Data
- An excellent source of proteins, fats, antioxidants and flavonoids
- good source of (in descending order): selenium, magnesium, copper, phosphorus, manganese, vitamin B1, vitamin E, zinc, potassium, iron and folate
- high levels of selenium greatly protect against and reduce risk of prostate cancer
- considered a complete protein and thus excellent for vegetarian diet
- reduce risk of cancers due to antioxidant properties and enhance overall good health
- for more information, visit the Brazil Nut detailed overview from Nutrition Data
- an excellent source of vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids and antioxidants
- rich in manganese, zinc, phosphorus, calcium and copper, as well as fiber
- helps optimize blood sugar, cholesterol and a healthy weight
- enhances optimal bowel, digestive, cardiovascular and overall health
- learn more about the health benefits of chia seeds