A simple routine I started as a teen, was to take great care of my skin, including moisturizing my face much earlier than most young women ever think about wrinkles. Over the years I have tried simple herbal creams, as well as so called “high quality” ones. However, once I learned about the dangers of most personal care products on our health, I took a serious look at what I was putting on my face, and discontinued use of all popular commercial creams and lotions.
While I was happy for quite some time with the Burt’s Bees carrot cream, once I looked at their ingredients in more depth, I realized they just did not cut it where truly natural products were concerned either. This is where I was ecstatic to have found out that my favorite personal care product company – Green Beaver, also carried a facial line. You can read more about the company from my point of view here.
This product is called the Green Tea and Aloe 100% Natural Facial Moisturizer. It is fragrance-free, which is one of its best features and suitable for sensitive skin. The company also makes a facial cleanser, facial exfoliant, make-up remover and blemish mousse, however I do not use those as I find I have no need for them.
The moisturizer is very light in texture, non-greasy and almost like a very gentle lotion for the face. This is very true to the claims it makes on the package. It absorbs almost immediately and does not leave any residue on the skin or feeling that one just put on a cream or lotion. It is very soothing and along with the green tea, contains aloe.
The moisturizer is recommended for all skin types and states that it is suitable for sensitive skin and for acne-prone skin.
It does not contain any parabens, artificial fragrances, dyes, petrolatum, propylene glycol or animal products. It is certified vegan and not tested on animals. The package also states the following:
Aloe vera has long been recognized for its skin virtues. Our concentrated aloe extract based cream with nourishing jojoba, avocado and grapeseed emollients will soothe, replenish and protect against dehydration. Enriched with green tea extract for anti-oxidant protection.
In terms of the ingredients, they are great if we are talking high quality natural. The product does have an almost perfect record in terms of having a low hazard rating where the Skin Deep Cosmetic Database is concerned.
In terms of effectiveness, I use this product most evenings before bed time after thoroughly washing my face, and sometimes in the mornings in the summer, if I feel my skin feels somewhat drier than normal. Having said that I do have normal skin, so it is never truly oily or dry. The product works well, but I would not say that it is miraculous in any way in how it moisturizes. Some days, especially for cold, dry days, I do not feel like it is enough to protect my face, so during that time of the year, I use the Green Beaver Winter Face Cream. I mostly love applying this product as a night moisturizer since it absorbs immediately, so I can sleep comfortably on the pillow with no stains or stickiness, etc. Also, this product lasted me a whole year with pretty regular use, as I mentioned.
Generally speaking, I would have to say I really recommend this product, except perhaps if you have really dry skin.
Ingredients for Green Beaver 100% Natural Facial Moisturizer
(plant ingredients are italicized)
- Vitis vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil
- Helianthus annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil
- Glyceryl Stearate *(0 – low hazard)
- Stearic Acid *(2 – low hazard)
- Olea europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil
- Glycerin (plant based) *(0 – low hazard)
- Cetearyl Glucoside *(0 – low hazard)
- Aloe barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Extract
- Camellia sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract
- Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil
- Persea gratissima (Avocado) Oil
- Rhus verniciflua Peel Wax
- Butyrospermum parkii (Shea Butter)
- Citrus medica limonum (Lemon) Extract
- Citrus grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract
- Tocopheryl Acetate *(4 – moderate hazard)
- Sclerotium Gum *(0 – low hazard)
- Potassium Sorbate *(1 – low hazard)
- Citric Acid *(4 – moderate hazard)
* Safety Rating based on Skin Deep Cosmetic Database
The moisturizer comes in a toothpaste like tube with a flip-cap at the bottom. It is encased in a soft cardboard box. Both items are fully recyclable. The size of the product is 120 ml/4 fl oz.
Price (as of this posting)
- $12 – $15 CAD per bottle at health food stores across Canada
- $11.99 CAD per bottle at HealthToYou.ca
(free shipping to Canada & US, minimum order required)
- $13.99 CAD/$13.21 US per bottle at Well.ca
(free shipping in Canada, no minimum order required)
- $12.74 CAD/$12.31US per bottle at FeelBest.com
(free shipping in Canada & US, minimum order required)
- Widely available at health food stores across Canada, especially Ontario
- Widely available at many on-line stores for Canadian, US and international shoppers
- Unscented/No fragrance
- Absorbs almost immediately
- Completely non-greasy
- Suitable for all skin types
- Moisturizes well
- 100% biodegradable
- Vegan/No animal products
- No parabens
- No propylene glycol
- No petrolatum
- No artificial aromas, fragrances or dyes
- No animal testing
- Great ingredients
- 1 bottle lasts about a year, with pretty regular use
- Fair price
- Fair availability
- Nothing that I am aware of at this time, ingredients are great, but perhaps not perfect