In search for natural alternatives, I tried this lotion from Burt’s Bees, a company dedicated to truly natural products and the “greater good”. It is a Milk and Honey Lotion that is recommended for normal to dry skin. The bottle I have is labeled as 97.77% natural and claims to “leave rough, flaky skin soft and smooth naturally”. On the Burt’s Bees web site, the product has since become reformulated, is now part of their “Naturally Nourishing” line and labeled as 98.2% natural.
I will base my comments on the older formula I have, as this is the one I had my experience with.The lotion is much more viscous than your typical lotion. It still however goes on well and is very well absorbed. It does not leave skin with an oily after effect but does moisturize the skin as promised.
The lotion does have a strong scent that I found very hard to get used to. I definitely would not have expected it from a milk and honey lotion. I really can’t describe it, perhaps a mix of herbs of some kind.
I do feel it is important to use a natural moisturizer, but the scent of this one is a big turn off. If it had not been reformulated I probably would have not bought it again and would have searched for another natural moisturizer. Seeing however that it has been reformulated and a few ingredients have changed, I would give it another try.
(all italicized ingredients are from plants)
|Old Formula (97.77% natural)||New Formula (98.2% natural)|
Both the older and new formula lotions come in plastic bottles – older formula in a size of 207ml, in a white bottle and new formula in a size of 236ml, in a yellow bottle. The bottle is not a pump one but rather a flip cap that dispenses the product upon flipping over and squeezing, you can find some in a pump if you prefer that. The empty bottle is easily recyclable as it is made from HDPE (recycle number 2). All ingredients are clearly labeled on the back.
Price (as of this posting)
- Around $10 in local health food and personal care stores
- $8.99-$12.99 US/CAD each on Burt’s Bees Web Site
- $12.99 CAD per bottle on Well.ca - free shipping
- $9.99 per 12oz bottle from Amazon.com
- On Burt’s Bees US or Canadian web site
- Local pharmacy, personal care and health food stores
- Online at Amazon.com, Well.ca and other stores
- Excellent moisturizing/hydrating properties
- Excellent absorption
- Long lasting
- Excellent price value
- Great mix of natural and beneficial ingredients
- Strong scent that some may find unpleasant or irritating
- Uses “fragrance” in ingredients and does not explain its source
- Uses “sodium borate” which is toxic if ingested. However as it is near the end of the ingredient list, there is a small quantity of it in the product which should pose no irritations or health risks