This is an incredibly delicious and deluxe 100% superfood packed creation that can be used as a snack or dessert anytime. Each of the ingredients offers its own unique health and nutritional benefits. These squares makes a super healthy, fantastic treat for all ages. They are rich in protein and healthy fats, as well as antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and fiber. They are naturally low in sodium, have no refined sugars and packed with nutrient-dense calories. And being raw (as opposed to baked or cooked) means that they maintain the best of their nutritional integrity.
PREPARATION: < 15 mins
SERVING: Makes 16 squares
- 100% Plant-based (vegan)
- Whole food
- Grain free
- Wheat free
- Gluten free
- Peanut free
- Nut free
- Soy free
- Corn free
- Oil free
- Refined & isolated sugar free
- 2 cups Hemp Seeds (organic)
- 1/2 cup Raw Cacao Powder (organic)
- 2 TBSP Spirulina Powder
- 4 TBSP Coconut butter
- 4 TBSP Coconut Flakes (organic, unsulphured, unsweetened)
- 8 - 10 Medjool Dates
- 2 TBSP water
- Food Processor
- Glass 8-inch Square Dish
- Remove pits from your dates and place the pitted dates into the food processor.
- Add the water and coconut butter to the food processor and process with the dates until a paste begins to form.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the food processor and process on high speed until mixture begins to stick together, as relatively one piece.
- Remove from food processor and using a spatula, press into an 8-inch square glass dish.
- If desired for garnish, sprinkle the top evenly with some coconut, lightly pressing it down with a spatula.
- You can eat it immediately for a soft, chewy texture, or place in the refrigerator for about an hour to let the squares harden.
- Cut into 9 larger or 16 smaller squares and enjoy.
- Store the squares in the refrigerator for short term use (within week), or in the freezer for long term use.
For future batches, you can adjust the quantities (+/- tbsp) to experiment with the slight flavor variations that these offer.
This is a modified version of my Hemp Spirulina Superfood Squares recipe on Healthytarian.com.
Meal Nutritional Benefits
- Excellent source of complete and highly digestible protein
- Contain more required amino acids than milk, meat or eggs
- Provide an excellent amount and ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 fatty acids
- A source of: iron, calcium, B vitamins, vitamin D, vitamin A, vitamin E, potassium and phosphorus (Source: Healing Source Hemp)
- Promote weight loss, protective against heart disease, provide enhanced energy and stamina and enhance overall good health
- Excellent for diabetics, those needing to lose weight, athletes and people of all ages
- For more information, visit health benefits of hemp seeds
- Raw cacao contains anandamide (a euphoric substance), arginine (a natural aphrodisiac), neurotransmitters that stimulate and balance brain activity, tryptophan (an anti-depressant), antioxidants and other beneficial compounds known to have rejuvenating and anti-aging elements.
- Cacao is high in magnesium, good for a balanced nervous system, heart beat, building strong bones, and lowering blood pressure.
- Cacao is a good source of the beauty mineral sulfur; responsible for healthy skin, nails and hair.
- Scientific studies have shown that cacao boosts blood flow to the heart, brain and other organs and has a wide array of protective effects against heart disease. It has also been shown to beneficial in lowering blood glucose levels and preventing the onset of type-2 diabetes.
- For more information, learn about the raw cacao benefits
- High-quality complete protein that is more dense and more digestible than any animal-derived protein
- Contains: all the known B vitamins, including vitamin B12, vitamin C, vitamin E, Beta-carotene, calcium, magnesium, zinc, potassium and many others, as well as trace minerals
- Source of omega-3 fatty acids including GLA, as well as nucleic acids (RNA & DNA)
- Excellent source of chlorophyll
- Contains phycocyanin, a potent anti-cancer phytochemical
- Highly preventative and healing for numerous health conditions, boosts immune system and enhances overall health
- For excellent detailed information on Spirulina, visit the Chlorella Factor
- Has various health promoting qualities in almost all areas of the body, including boosting the immune system
- Contains antimicrobial, antiviral and antibacterial properties
- Excellent, rich and healthy source of saturated fats in the form of medium chain triglycerides
- For a complete overview and detailed list of health benefits see benefits of coconuts
- Good source of (in descending order): fiber, potassium, copper, manganese, magnesium, vitamin B6, vitamin B5, vitamin B3, calcium, phosphorus, iron, vitamin B2, vitamin B1, vitamin K, vitamin A and zinc
- Rich in energy-rich carbohydrates, fiber and potassium, are excellent for athletes and all those needing a quick energy punch
- Have been linked to promoting overall good health, promoting proper digestion and decreasing various cancer risks
- Due to their good potassium content, can help regulate proper blood pressure for more information, visit the medjool date overview from NutritionData.com