This salad offers an excellent way to enjoy the seasonal benefits of late summer when cabbage, apples and zucchini are abundant from local or homegrown sources. It is a juicy blend of slightly sweet and sour flavors, with a hint of spices brought out by the cinnamon it contains. It is rich in micronutrients and health enhancing phytonutrients. It is naturally low in sodium and fat, cholesterol free and high in fiber. This salad makes a great snack, meal or side to your favorite healthy meal.
TYPE: Salad, Snack, Appetizer
PREPARATION: < 15 mins
SERVINGS: makes a large bowl of salad to share among several portions, or store
- Refined Sugar-free
- 1/2 of a medium Green Cabbage (organic)
- 2 Apples (organic)
- 1 Zucchini medium sized or 1/2 large sized (organic)
- 1 Lemon, juiced (organic)
- 2 TBSP (or more) of Apple Cider Vinegar (organic, raw)
- 4 TBSP of Udo’s Oil Organic 3-6-9 Blend
- 4 TBSP (or more) Sesame Seeds (organic, raw)
- 2 tsp (or more) Cinnamon (organic)
- 1/2 - 1 tsp Unrefined Sea Salt or Himalayan Salt
- Food Processor
- Cutting Board
- Large Salad Bowl
- Forks, Spoons
- Wash and remove the outer layers of the cabbage, cut into half (store the other half). Cut the half into portions that will fit into the mouth of your food processor.
- Using a shredding disc, shred the cabbage and place into a large salad bowl.
- Wash the apples, cut and core them. Using the same disc, shred the apples using the food processor and place into the bowl with cabbage.
- Wash the zucchini, and use either the whole or half by shredding it using your food processor. Transfer to the salad bowl.
- Wash the lemon, and squeeze the juice completely into a small bowl or cup. Be sure that all seeds are removed and pour the juice into the salad bowl.
- Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into the salad bowl (more can be added later if desired).
- Drizzle in at least 2 and up to 4 tablespoons of Udo’s oil into the salad.
- Sprinkle the salad with at least 4 heaping tablespoons of sesame seeds (more can be added later if desired).
- Sprinkle in the salt and cinnamon.
- Stir the contents thoroughly several times to make sure all ingredients mix well together. Serve and enjoy. (Optional: decorate each serving with some cinnamon and sesame seeds on top - see photo.)
- Refrigerate leftovers for up to 3 days in a sealed or covered container.
Meal Nutritional Benefits
- member of the nutrient-dense cruciferous family
- Source of (in descending order): vitamin K, vitamin C, fiber, manganese, vitamin B6, folate, omega 3, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, calcium, potassium, vitamin A, tryptophan, protein and magnesium
- cleanses cells, fights free radicals, protects against cancers, promotes gastrointestinal health, promotes women’s health, promotes cardiovascular health and naturally can treat peptic ulcers
- red cabbage specifically has been shown to protect against Alzheimer’s disease
- For more information, visit the cabbage detailed overview from World’s Healthiest Foods
- good source of (in descending order): manganese, vitamin C, magnesium, vitamin A, fiber, potassium, copper, folate, vitamin K, phosphorus, omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin B6, vitamin B1, zinc, vitamin B3, vitamin B2, iron, protein and tryptophan
- protects against cancers, promotes men’s health, enhances cardiovascular health, and has many disease fighting properties
- for more information, visit the zucchini (summer squash) detailed overview from World’s Healthiest Foods
- Excellent source of flavenoids that act as antioxidants
- good source of (in descending order): fiber, vitamin C, potassium, vitamin K, vitamin B6 and others
- enhances proper cardiovascular health, provides protection against cancers, enhance proper digestion, enhance proper blood sugar, prevent kidney stones and promote overall good health
- for more information, visit the apples detailed overview from World’s Healthiest Foods
- Add a great tang of taste to any meal
- An excellent source of vitamin C
- Provide phytonutrients with antioxidant and antibiotic effects
- Protect against cancers, rheumatoid arthritis, support the immune system and promote and enhance optimal health in many areas
- For more information, visit the lemons/limes detailed overview from World’s Healthiest Foods
Apple Cider Vinegar:
- Contains a host of vitamins, beta-carotene, pectin and vital minerals such as potassium, sodium, magnesium, calcium, phosphorous, chlorine, sulphur, iron, and fluorine
- Pectin in the vinegar is a fiber which helps reduce bad cholesterol and helps in regulating blood pressure
- Helps extract calcium from the fruits, vegetables and meat it is mixed with, helping in the process of maintaining strong bones
- The potassium in this vinegar also helps in eliminating toxic waste from the body
- The beta-carotene helps in countering damage caused by free radicals, helping one maintain firmer skin and a youthful appearance
- Contains malic acid which is very helpful in fighting fungal and bacterial infections, as well as dissolving uric acid deposits that form around joints, helping relieve joint pains
- Helps with weight loss as it has properties that help to break down fat
- It is also claimed that apple cider vinegar is helpful in ailments such as constipation, headaches, arthritis, weak bones, indigestion, high cholesterol, diarrhea, eczema, sore eyes, chronic fatigue, mild food poisoning, hair loss, high blood pressure, obesity, along with a host of many other ailments
- For more information visit Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
- good source of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and phytonutrients
- good source of: manganese and calcium
- contain anti-clotting action, anti-microbial activity, and helps reduce the risk of cancer, heart disease and diabetes 2
- contain eugenol and cinnamaldehyde which have pain-relieving and sedative properties
- for more information, visit the cinnamon detailed overview from World’s Healthiest Foods
- provides the ideal 2:1:1 ratio of essential fatty acids omega 3:6:9
- anti-inflammatory, health promoting for the cardiovascular system, brain function and immune system
- provides an excellent source of healthy fats and energy
- for a full review and analysis of the oil, read my review of Udo’s Oil
Unrefined Sea Salt/Himalayan Salt:
- Naturally occurring complex of sodium chloride, which includes major minerals such as calcium and magnesium and a complete complement of essential trace minerals
- Alkalizing to maintain proper acid/alkaline body balance
- Has helped to promote optimal health in civilizations for centuries