Iron deficiency is the most widespread nutrient deficiency in the world today, affecting more people, namely women and children than ever before. According to the World Health Organization, it is considered an epidemic, affecting people in both industrialized and developing countries.
While there are some theories floating around as to the cause of this, despite food being fortified with iron, there still seems to be a greater underlying cause that we have just not tapped into yet.
Generally speaking iron is poorly absorbed from food sources. Like most women, I have been told since I was 16 that I am low in iron, and was simply told to eat more meat by my doctor. Well, little did that do, and it wasn’t until I studied the biochemistry of nutrition, that I realized the intricate complexity of why a body may be having a hard time absorbing and using iron, with meat having little to do with it. While I am lucky to not suffer from any symptoms that I know of, and have verified with other doctors that my low iron, may actually be quite normal for me, I am always conscious of my iron levels, making sure I have an annual blood test done.
With this in mind, I am thrilled to share with you a unique and highly valuable, natural product that helps iron absorption. The product is from the herbal and homeopathic leader of natural supplements Native Remedies, and it is called AnemiCare. To learn more about Native Remedies, check out my interview with owner George Luntz.)
AnemiCare is not an iron supplement, but an all natural, homeopathic remedy that helps the absorption of iron from food or supplements. It contains no gluten, artificial flavors, colors or preservatives. As it contains lactose, it is suitable for lacto-vegetarians, but may not be suitable for strict vegans or those who are lactose intolerant. It is not tested on animals.
The product works by assisting in:
- Increasing iron absorption and the transport of oxygen around the body
- Improving production of haem (the iron–containing protein) used to make haemoglobin
- Encouraging the supply of oxygen to all cells
- Improving levels of haemoglobin and therefore levels of iron
- Helping decrease symptoms of fatigue associated with iron deficiency
AnemiCare comes in tablet form. The tablets are very small and the dosage is to suck 2-4 tablets, in a clean mouth, three times a day. The tablets are tasteless and are safe for all ages, including women during pregnancy and while breastfeeding.
I personally hold homeopathic products in high regard in knowing how they work, however some people want personal proof of the product working. The efficacy of this product can be easily tested by being conscious of a change in symptoms and/or by getting a blood test for iron before starting the product, and at least 3 months after finishing it completely. (Blood cells take about 3-4 months for full regeneration.) Results will vary from person to person, but Native Remedies explains that most people will feel improved conditions within days, where symptoms are present.
This product is thus in my opinion highly valuable for any women or children low in iron, and any vegans or vegetarians who are having a harder time as their body learns to increase its efficiency of absorbing iron from plant sources.
For more information about the product, see the AnemiCare profile on the Native Remedies web site.
Ingredients (homeopathic formula)
- Ferrum phosphate (D6)
- Calcium phosphate (D6)
- Ferrum Metallicum (6C)
The remedy comes in a small, dark brown glass bottle and includes 125 tablets. The bottle is fully recyclable, once the product is finished.
Price (as of this posting)
- $27.95US for 1 bottle (125 tabs) from Native Remedies
- $55.90US for 3 bottles (of 125 tabs each) from Native Remedies
- Based in US, for all US, Canadian and International customers from the Native Remedies online store.
- Natural, homeopathic formula
- Helps iron absorption
- Decreases symptoms of anemia and fatigue
- Easy to take
- No artificial flavors
- No artificial colors
- No artificial preservatives
- Gluten free
- Suitable for all ages including children, pregnant and breastfeeding women
- Suitable for lacto-vegetarians
- Product not tested on animals
- Fair Price
- Contains lactose and may not be suitable for strict vegans or those who are lactose intolerant
- Nothing else that I am aware of at this time