Whether it is spring cleaning or your weekly cleaning routine, every health conscious individual wants to make sure they are cleaning with the safest product where their health and the environment are concerned.
Green commercial cleaners today are the new hype, but they are not usually the healthiest way to go. So most of us revert to baking soda and vinegar, not knowing that there might be some other truly natural and great products out there.
This is where I was thrilled to be introduced to the Universal Stone. This product cleans, polishes and preserves all smooth surfaces. In fact it has so many amazing qualities, some of which I am excited to share with you in this review!
The Universal Stone is made in Germany by Zielinsky Universal-Stone, from six natural ingredients. It is a polishing and cleaning stone that is all natural, biodegradable, child and pet friendly, completely non-toxic, acid-free, phosphor free, gentle on the skin, non-abrasive and non-allergenic.
The stone has been tested by the allergy and asthma research center and was found to be safe for use by allergy and asthma sufferers.
It works on all smooth surfaces including metals, tubs, sinks, cabinets, granite, tiles, marble, stoves, toilets, glass, crystal, painted wood, acrylic, bikes and most other indoor and outdoor equipment.
Each tub of the product comes with at least one cleaning sponge to be used with the product. Cleaning with the stone was very easy. Upon opening the tub, there is a white, solid material. One simply needs to wet the sponge and rub across the product a few times, then rub the sponge to create a foam and clean the desired surface. To finish you can wipe the cleaned object with a wet, damp or dry cloth for the final polish.
I have to tell you, this is as good as it gets. Cleaning with the stone is easy, safe and effective. My favorite items to clean with it were stainless steel and ceramic sinks, and tubs. It works so great and leaves a beautiful sparkle! It is hard to imagine that it can literally be used on almost anything, so I have not had a chance yet to explore its use on so many items, but I look forward to doing so!
What I love most about this product is that it is made in Europe, under very strict standards for cleaning products and toxic ingredients compared to anything close to it, in North America. And unlike so many commercial cleaners, it is not just safe for the environment, thus “green” or “eco-friendly”, but safe for our health – which should be the first priority.
There are no sprays, or thick liquids dispersing molecules of various chemicals into the air. The product itself actually barely has a scent, which I love, even though there is the natural citronella ingredient.
I cannot yet attest as to how it would clean heavily stained items or other surfaces, but if one is doing their weekly cleaning, this product works flawlessly. It dissolves grease and truly has more usage ideas than I can list here!
Thus, I am so excited to get to know this product and also introduce it to any of you who are health conscious and looking for a fantastic all natural and super versatile cleaner.
- Vegetable-based green soaps (green soap and soap flakes)
- Vegetable Oil
- Clay (Earth Polishing)
- Natural Scent (Citronella)
The stone comes in a small plastic tub, that is recyclable when product is finished. Some of the smaller sizes come packaged with the sponge in a box, which is also recyclable. The bigger sizes come in big plastic buckets.
Price (as of this posting)
- $29.95 CAD/US for 500g(17.6oz) includes 1 sponge [lasts 6-8 months]
- $39.95 CAD/US for 800g(28.22oz) includes 1 sponge [lasts 8-12 months]
- $149.95 CAD/US for 8kg (8.8lbs) includes 5 sponges [lasts 12-24 months]
- For Canadian Customers, orders can be placed online through UniversalStone.ca or through a local distributor like Jolanta Interiors in Toronto, ON
- For US Customers, orders can be placed through GreenBuildingSupply.com or by visiting their store in Iowa – 1-800-405-0222
- For European Customers, orders can be placed directly through the Zielinsky Manufacturer of the Universal Stone
- Aviva Online Store also carries the Universal Stone for Canadian and US customers
- Grass Roots Online Store out of Toronto, also carries the Universal Stone for Canadian and US customers
- Green Moose Boutique out of Canada, also carries the Universal Stone for Canadian orders
- Truly all natural
- Excellent cleaning ability
- Excellent polishing ability
- Suitable for most surfaces
- Non abrasive
- Gentle on the skin
- Safe for asthma and allergy sufferers
- Safe for kids and pets to touch and be around
- Unlimited Shelf-life
- Vegetarian Friendly
- Fair price
- Great packaging
- Not available in most local stores, but can be easily ordered online or through a local wholesaler