If you have ever had a Snickers bar, you most likely enjoy a blend of peanuts with a sweet caramel-like experience. In trying to make healthy choices, however, you may have moved on to wholesome bars, like Larabars instead, and enjoyed their Peanut Butter Cookie flavor, which mimics the flavor experience of a Snickers. While you can stop there, why not take full control of the quality of your ingredients and make a similar treat yourself in just a few minutes, using only a few simple ingredients?
This is where this recipe, whether you make it into balls, squares, or bars will provide you with just that: a delicious blend of peanuts and caramel-like experience of Medjool dates. In turn you get to avoid snack foods that contain all kinds of added sugars, oils, dairy, modified ingredients, and additives, and instead enjoy the wonderful health benefits of whole, plant foods. This treat will provide you with healthy carbohydrates, including fiber, healthy fats, healthy protein, as well as a wide range of vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants, and phytonutrients.
TYPE: Snack, Treat
PREP TIME: ~ 5 minutes for bars/squares / 15 minutes for balls (+ chilling)
SERVINGS: Makes about 24 balls or 16 squares in an 8x8 inch dish
- Whole food
- 100% Plant-Based (Vegan)
- Raw (not baked or cooked)
- Refined sugar-free
- Isolated sugar-free
- 1 cup Organic Roasted Peanuts
- 14 Organic Medjool Dates
- 1 tsp Organic Pure Vanilla Extract or Vanilla Bean
- Dash of Sea Salt — optional
- Remove pits from the Medjool dates and place the dates into the food processor, along with the peanuts, and vanilla.
- Process on high until a crumbly and sticky mixture results.
- Using clean hands, form the mixture into balls, or press firmly using a spatula into an 8 by 8 inch glass dish for squares or bars.
- This treat can be eaten right away (it will be on the softer side), or place it in the fridge and let chill for at least 1 hour to let it firm up.
- These treats keep well in the fridge in a sealed container for a long time, but are best frozen for long term or future use
- For best digestion, weight and energy, always aim to eat treats like these in between meals as snacks, not right after meals as desserts.
Health & Nutrition Benefits
Organic Peanuts / Peanut Butter
- provide healthy fats, protein and some carbohydrates
- provide phytonutrients and antioxidants
- a source of vitamins, especially vitamin E and most B vitamins
- a source of minerals, especially manganese, copper, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, zinc, and potassium
- support optimal health, weight, healing, and prevention
- help maintain healthy blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol levels
- protect against cardiovascular disease, cancer and other degenerative conditions
- for more information, visit the peanut overview from World’s Healthiest Foods
- Health Tip: choose organic peanuts of the highest quality, as peanuts have both pesticide and mold health concerns
- provide healthy carbohydrates, some protein, and are virtually fat-free
- provide vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, and antioxidants
- provide most of the B vitamins
- especially rich in potassium, copper, manganese, and magnesium
- support optimal health, energy, weight, healing and prevention
- support digestive, immune, and cardiovascular health
- for more info, see the medjool dates overview on Nutrition-and-You
- provides antioxidants and phytonutrients, like vanilloids, and has anti-inflammatory properties
- provides some B vitamins
- provides some minerals, especially manganese, potassium, copper, and magnesium
- when in its purest form, can positively support overall health
- supports optimal cognitive health and mental performance
- for more information, visit the vanilla overview from Nutrition-and-You.com