In this review, I want to introduce you to the original Salba. It is a very tiny seed or grain from South America. Botanically Salba is a very specific species of Salvia hispanica L. and it is a very close relative to the famous Chia seed.
Salba however is different from Chia. Its main difference is that Salba has been produced through natural breeding techniques and grown into a nutritional super-food! Hence, some refer to it as the next generation of Chia.
Salba was brought forth through the work of Dr. Vladimir Vuksan, Professor of Endocrinology and Nutritional Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto. Today, Salba is provided through Source Salba in Canada and Core Naturals in the US. For more information see the Salba Quick Answers.
The high quality and consistency of this product is well respected and for 2007, Salba won the Canadian Health Food Association – Alive Awards of Excellence “Silver Medal” under the new product category. This is a retailer voted award, which enhances how positively people have responded to Salba.
The seed does not require any cooking or processing and can be eaten as is on any food or dish you choose. Most commonly it is added to salads, shakes, cereals, baked goods or sprinkled on any main dish.
So what is so great about this product? Pretty much everything! It has the highest omega 3 and fiber content known out of all the foods in the world. It is packed with fiber, barely has any carbohydrates and on top of that it has a wide array of vitamins and minerals. It also comes in a certified organic version and even the conventionally grown version is pesticide and herbicide free.
It can be eaten anytime, anywhere by pretty much anyone. This includes people with Diabetes, Celiac’s Disease, pregnant women, children, etc. The only people who should not eat Salba are those who suspect they have an allergy to seed oils.
It has no specific taste to like or dislike.
I personally greatly favor this product because to me eating naturally is of great importance. Hence I would never go out and get synthetically produced multivitamins when a) my diet should supply me with those naturally and b) there is a great natural product like Salba that can supplement if need be extra nutrients and enhance my diet.
Some people complain that the seeds (being so small) get stuck in their teeth, but I personally have never had this problem. I have eaten Salba in salads and shakes most commonly and find that it perfectly blends with the food and does not cause any issues.
- Salba seed
(per 12g – 1.5 – 2 tablespoons)
- 47 Calories
- 0.38 g Saturated Fat
- 0.26g Monounsaturated Fat
- 0.65g Omega-6
- 2.4g Omega-3
- 0g Cholesterol
- 2.5g Protein
- 4.5g Carbohydrate
- 4.5g Fiber
- 0mg Sodium
- 83mg Potassium
Vitamins & Minerals
- 0.8mg Iron
- 73mg Calcium
- 37mg Magnesium
- 0.86mg Niacin (Vitamin B3)
- 0.1mg Folate
Note: This product contains a few other vitamins and minerals in small amounts.
The Salba Seed comes in 150g and 360g plastic resalable bags from SourceSalba and 9.5oz or 16oz (1 pound) plastic bottles from Core Naturals. Both items are recyclable. Note 1 pound (16 oz) = about 450g.
Price (as of this posting)
- Around $20 to $30 CDN per 360g bag in health food stores
- $23.53 CDN per 360g bag from CureSelf.com
- $24.95 US per 1 pound bottle from NaturalGuidance.com
- $24.99 US/$25.49 CDN per 360g bag from FeelGoodNatural.com
- $20 – $30 US per bottle or bag on Amazon.com
Note: If buying from the US and on Amazon, it is cheaper to purchase the Core Naturals version of Salba in the bottle not the Canadian version in a bag.
- In Canada and the United States in some health food stores, pharmacies and big supermarkets, as well as in numerous online stores
FeelGoodNatural.com online Canadian store that ships in Canada and the US
For a Salba distributor near you in the US or worldwide, click here
- For a Salba store near you in the US, click here
- For a Salba store near you in Canada, click here
Note: Be sure when buying Salba, to buy from one of the above trusted distributors, as counterfeit Salba products are being marketed as well
- Vegan and Vegetarian friendly
- No trans fats
- No artificial colors, flavors or preservatives
- Excellent source of omega 3 and 6
- Excellent source of fiber
- Great source of many essential vitamins and minerals
- Great source of a complete protein
- Aids in digestion and weight loss
- Helps to control blood sugar
- Enhances healthy colon health and elimination
- Nothing – it truly is a great product!