I am happy to share with you a fairly new, all natural product that has just come onto the market in May 2008. For those of you who like to enjoy croutons in your soups and salads and want an all natural, low sodium, preservative-free product, Neal Brothers Foods might just have what you are looking for.
This small Canadian-based company was actually started by two brothers in their mom’s kitchen. Croutons! Croûtons! was the signature product they first came out with and re-launched it back in 2008.
The croutons are extremely tasty and that is probably their best selling feature, next to their all natural, preservative-free ingredients.
Croutons! Croûtons! come in three flavors which are: Butter & Garlic, Parmesan Pepper, and Multigrain with Garlic.
The crouton chunks come in various sizes and this gives them a more hand-cut rather than factory produced appeal. Some chunks however are large, so chew carefully!
Currently it is not possible to purchase them outside of Canada, and Eastern Canada really. Perhaps with time and popularity they will migrate and be available throughout North America, but for now it appears you will only be able to enjoy them if you live in Central-Eastern Canada.
- Multigrain Bread consisting of:
- (unbleached white, whole wheat, oat, rye and soy flours, yeast, salt, millet, poppy and sesame seeds)
- Certified non-GMO canola oil
Nutritional Information (per 7g)
- Calories = 30
- Fat = 1.5g (Unsaturated = 1.3g, Saturated = 0.1g, Trans = 0.1)
- Carbohydrate = 4g (Sugars = 0g)
- Fiber = 0g
- Protein = 1g
- Cholesterol = 0g
- Sodium = 30g
- Iron = 2%
The croutons come packed in a plastic bag sealed for freshness and the bag is contained within a fully recyclable cardboard box. Although this is not the worst type of packaging, I think it would be nice to see it minimized for environmental reasons, such as bag only.
Price (as of this posting)
- Around $3.00 CAD per box at some grocery and health food stores across central-Eastern Canada
- Selected Grocery and Health Food Stores across Canada (for a location nearest you click here)
- No preservatives
- All natural ingredients
- Excellent taste
- Contains non-GMO canola oil
- Fair Price
- Not available outside of Canada
- Contains a tiny amount of trans fat (would be nice to have 0 trans fat)
- Contains some white, although unbleached flour (would be nice to avoid this ingredient altogether)