A green smoothie offers an excellent way to start your day, or power your day with greens anytime. It offers alkalizing benefits, as well as nutrient dense calories packed with vital micronutrients. This green smoothie recipe provides both optimally wholesome nutrition, as well as additional support for seasonal transitions thanks to the addition of the adaptogenic superfood Ashwagandha (read more below under ‘Meal Nutrition Benefits’).
Transitioning between the seasons is a time during which our bodies are more vulnerable to various imbalances due to the changes in our environments and routines. This is a time when we not only benefit from superior nutrition, but also from providing our bodies additional support as needed. This green smoothie contains healthy carbohydrates, fats and protein, as well as an abundant supply of nearly all of the vitamins and minerals. It is naturally low is sodium, cholesterol free and rich in fiber. It is quick and simple to make, and so delicious that it can easily be enjoyed by the whole family.
TYPE: Breakfast, Snack, Meal
PREP TIME: < 5 mins
SERVINGS: makes about 16oz for 1 regular (meal) or 2 small (snack) servings
- 100% real, whole food
- Refined Sugar-free
- 1 Banana (organic)
- 1 Orange (organic)
- 2 - 3 cups/handfuls Spinach (organic)
- 1 - 2 tsp Ashwagandha Powder (organic)
- 2 Tbsp Flax, Chia OR Hemp Seeds (organic)
- 1 - 1&1/2 cups Water (filtered, natural spring)
- Optional - Ice Cubes/Crushed Ice
- Peel the banana, and orange and place into your blender.
- Wash the spinach as necessary and place into your blender.
- Add 1 - 2 teaspoons of Ashwagandha powder into the blender. Start with 1 teaspoon and work up to 2 teaspoons in a few days, as needed or desired.
- Add 2 heaping tablespoons of flaxseeds (or chia, or hemp seeds) into the blender.
- Add enough water into the blender to meet your desired smoothie consistency.
- Blend on high speed until mixture is perfectly smooth (about 15-30 seconds with Vitamix).
- It is healthiest to enjoy the smoothie at room temperature, but if you would like it colder you can blend in some crushed ice cubes.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy. For maximum nutritional integrity, enjoy it fresh and do not store for later time.
- Rotate your fruits — Maintain the banana as your main fruit, and alternate your second fruit (orange) based on seasonal availability and your preferences. Other good fruit additions include: mangoes, peaches, strawberries, blueberries and pineapple.
- Rotate your greens — While spinach is an outstanding leafy green, be sure to rotate through different leafy greens in your green smoothies as seasonally available. Other good leafy green options include: kale, collard greens, swiss chard, romaine lettuce, dandelion, watercress, and bok choy greens.
- Rotate your seeds — For maximum health and nutrition benefits rotate through the three superfood seeds regularly: flax, chia and hemp.
Meal Nutritional Benefits
- Excellent source of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber and is a rich alkaline food source
- good source of: vitamin K, vitamin A, manganese, folate, magnesium, iron, vitamin C, vitamin B2, calcium, potassium, vitamin B6, tryptophan, fiber, copper, vitamin B1, phosphorus, zinc, vitamin E, omega-3, vitamin B3 and selenium
- protects against osteoporosis, heart disease, prostate cancer, ovarian cancer, colon cancer, arthritis, and other diseases
- enhances eye sight, immune system and mental function
- for more information, visit the spinach detailed overview from World’s Healthiest Foods
- Is a high energy food source
- good source of (in descending order): vitamin B6, vitamin C, potassium, fiber and manganese
- offers cardiovascular protection, offers protection from ulcers, helps replenish electrolyte stores, enhances proper elimination, protects from age-related macular degeneration, helps build stronger bones and promotes kidney health,
- for more information, visit the bananas detailed overview from World’s Healthiest Foods
- good source of (in descending order): vitamin C, fiber, folate, vitamin B1, potassium, vitamin A and calcium
- contain antioxidant properties to protect against free radical damage and prevent cancer, enhance healthy immune function and enhances overall good health
- protect against cardiovascular disease, may help lower cholesterol, prevent kidney stones, help prevent ulcers, protect respiratory health and help protect against rheumatoid arthritis
- for more information, visit the orange detailed overview from World’s Healthiest Foods
- Ashwagandha is an adaptogenic herb (one of the most important in Ayurveda) that helps the body successfully adapt to stressful or changing conditions.
- Offers us numerous physical benefits like boosting the immune system, reducing inflammation, increasing muscular endurance and stamina, and acting as a powerful aphrodisiac.
- Offers us numerous mental and emotional benefits like calming the nervous system, improving memory, concentration and mental acuity, and managing stress.
- It has rejuvenating and revitalizing properties, enhancing energy and decreasing fatigue.
- Read more about the health benefits of Ashwagandha from Life Extension Magazine.
- Provide a rich amount of alpha linoleic (omega-3) fatty acids and healthy fats
- Good source of protein (about 2g/Tbsp) and fiber (about 3g/Tbsp)
- Good source of (in descending order): omega-3 fatty acids, manganese, fiber, magnesium, folate, copper, phosphorus and vitamin B6
- Help reduce the inflammation that is a significant factor in conditions such as asthma, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, migraine headaches, and osteoporosis
- Protect against bone disease, cancer, diabetes, and heart disease, provide cholesterol lowering benefits, and enhance proper eye health, women’s and men’s health
- For more information, visit the flax seeds detailed overview from World’s Healthiest Foods
- An excellent source of vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids and antioxidants
- High in protein (about 3g/Tbsp) and fiber (about 5g/Tbsp)
- Rich in manganese, zinc, phosphorus, calcium and copper
- May help to regulate blood sugar, cholesterol and healthy weight maintenance
- Enhance bowel, digestive, cardiovascular and overall health
- Learn more about chia seeds from Nutiva.com
- Contain more required amino acids than milk, meat or eggs
- High in protein (about 3g/Tbsp) and healthy fats
- Provide an excellent amount and ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 fatty acids
- A source of: iron, calcium, B vitamins, vitamin D, vitamin A, vitamin E, potassium and phosphorus (Source: Healing Source Hemp)
- Promote weight loss, protective against heart disease, provide enhanced energy and stamina and enhance overall good health
- Excellent for diabetics, those needing to lose weight, athletes and people of all ages
- For more information, visit health benefits of hemp seeds