For many years I have used typical antiperspirants, even some time after I knew the dangers of the aluminum and other chemicals which make these up. I basically felt I had no choice, as most of us have to go to work and fit in with society by not giving off an unpleasant smell or just not having wetness under their arms.
As my research in the natural health field continued I discovered that there were alternatives, like mineral, crystal rock deodorants and deodorants without typical chemicals. I learned that our body odor and even how much we sweat greatly depends on our diet and thinking patterns. I also learned that it is far from healthy to actually block our pores with antiperspirants, as perspiration is a natural way to rid our bodies of many toxins. Thus, there is no such thing as a healthy antiperspirant.
As of the late spring of 2009, I decided to call it quits with all antiperspirants. I forced myself to explore other options. I changed almost exclusively to a mineral rock deodorant, and being familiar with the natural and local company Green Beaver, I decided to try one of their natural deodorants. You can read more about them in my review of them here.
They offer 5 varieties of natural deodorants in their sport 24 line: lavender, citrus, tea tree, rosewood, wild yam and unscented. I tried the citrus one.
The deodorant is free of aluminum, parabens, glycols, or artifical fragrances. It is made in Canada and certified vegan.
The deodorant claims that it includes extra protection in terms of: natural antibacterial citrus extract, lichen and other odor preventing botanicals. It also includes skin conditioners: aloe and chamomile to soothe sensitive skin.
It also claims that it is a new advanced formula that goes on clear and leaves no residue. It is like a clear, solid gel that goes on a little sticky I found.
In terms of the ingredients, they are great if we are talking high quality natural. The product does have an almost perfect record in terms of having a low hazard rating where the Skin Deep Cosmetic Database is concerned.
Generally I was pleased with it, but not for any perspiration control. While it may have great ingredients, having it on, on a regular work day was no different most times than if I had nothing on, and I do not perspire heavily. So one has to keep in mind that this is a product that is most suitable for people who will not be using this first of all in a hot climate, secondly have a stressful job or perspire heavily. Perhaps reapplying it every few hours would help. This is where the “sport 24” tag line on them may come across as misleading, as this deodorant definitely does not last 24 hours.
I find it is best used on days that are cool, where one is not doing any physical activity, and generally low intensity/stress days, like weekend days. I use it sometimes, just as an alternative to the crystal rock that I use regularly now, but would not depend on it to feel comfortable most days if I have to be outside of the home.
Ingredients for Citrus Deodorant
- Glycerin (plant derived) *(1 – low hazard)
- Sodium stearate *(1 – low hazard)
- Citrus grandis (grapefruit) seed extract *(3 – moderate hazard)
- Steareth-100 *(1 – low hazard)
- Usnea barbata (lichen) extract *(0 – low hazard)
- Aloe barbadensis leaf juice *(0 – low hazard)
- Chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower extract *(0 – low hazard)
- Citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) oil *(1 – low hazard)
- Citrus medica limonum (lemon) peel oil *(1 – low hazard)
- Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) *(2 – low hazard)
- Ethylhexylglycerin *(1 – low hazard)
- Stearyl alcohol *(1 – low hazard)
- Bisabolol *(1 – low hazard)
* Safety Rating based on Skin Deep Cosmetic Database
The deodorant comes in a typical slender/oval, plastic, bottom roll-up stick. Size is 50g. Most of the packaging is recyclable.
Price (as of this posting)
- $6 – $8 CAD per stick at health food stores across Canada
- $5.99 CAD per stick at HealthToYou.ca
(free shipping to Canada & US, minimum order required)
- $6.39 CAD per stick at Well.ca (free shipping in Canada, no minimum order required)
- $5.60 CAD/$5.41US per stick at FeelBest.com
(free shipping in Canada & US, minimum order required)
- Widely available at health food stores across Canada, especially Ontario
- Widely available at many on-line stores for Canadian, US and international shoppers
- Pleasant, delicate scent
- Goes on clear
- 100% biodegradable
- No aluminum
- No parabens
- No glycols
- No artificial aromas, fragrances or dyes
- No animal testing
- Great ingredients
- Fair price
- Fair availability
- It is not very effective, unless someone barely perspires
- Can go on, or leave underarms a bit sticky