From time to time in the past, I used to enjoy using a good lip balm, but never has this become more important than when I stopped wearing lip stick on a regular basis.
I do not personally ever really suffer from dry, chapped lips, but living in a cold and dry climate sometimes does take a toll on the skin. For most of my needs when it comes to taking care of my lips, my number one choice is Wedderspoon Manuka Kiss lip balm. However, there are times where a different type of product could be used and this is where the Green Beaver Après Ski 100% Natural Winter Lip Balm comes in handy.
Green Beaver is my favorite personal care product company. You can read more about the company from my point of view. Not only do they have excellent products for most of our personal care needs, but they also feature a special winter line, called Après Ski. It features 5 products: the Winter Face Cream, Winter Lotion, Winter Hand Balm, Winter Bath Therapy and the Winter Lip Balm that I will talk about today.
This lip balm features excellent, natural ingredients. However, the tube I have, has somewhat different ingredients than on the Green Beaver site. I am not sure at this point which is the new formula. The one I have is very similar, but unscented and unflavored, where as the one on their site has vanilla added to it. The unscented/unflavored is great for people who are sensitive to scents, and also prevents one from wanting to lick off the product, only to need to reapply it again.
Generally speaking, to gauge your expectations correctly, I would have to say this product feels and looks just like typical vaseline or petroleum jelly, but of course it is not based on any petroleum products. The lip balm does not contain petrolatum, mineral oil, artificial fragrances, dyes, chemical preservatives, or parabens.
It protects and nourishes the lips great, but seeing as I am not a fan of the vaseline-like feel or consistency, this would not be my number one choice for lip balm. I only use it on rare occasions, when I want a glossy look on my lips, while benefiting from the natural ingredients and lip protection.
Ingredients for Green Beaver 100% Natural Winter Lip Balm:
- Ricinus communis (Castor oil)
- Cera alba (White beeswax)
- Helianthus annuus (Sunflower oil)
- Olea europaea (Olive oil)
- Prunus amygdalus dulcis (Sweet almond oil )
- Butyrospermum parkii (Shea butter)
- Tocopheryl acetate (Vitamin E)
- Rosmarinus officinalis (Rosemary)
The lip balm comes in a small squeeze tube with a screw on cap. The size is 10g.
Price (as of this posting)
- $3 – 5 CAD per tube at health food stores across Canada
- $3.99 CAD per tube at HealthToYou.ca
(free shipping to Canada & US, minimum order required)
- $3.99 CAD/$3.78 US per tube at Well.ca
(free shipping in Canada, no minimum order required)
- $3.39 CAD/$3.37US per tube FeelBest.com
(free shipping in Canada & US, minimum order required)
- Combo Pack 1 from HealthToYou.ca
$25.98 - Includes 4 out of the 5 Green Beaver Winter Line Products
- Combo Pack 2 from HealthToYou.ca
$33.97 - Includes all 5 Green Beaver Winter Line Products
- Widely available at health food stores across Canada, especially Ontario
- Widely available at many on-line stores for Canadian, US and international shoppers
- Excellent moisturizing properties
- Excellent protective feel on lips
- Adds a glossy look to lips
- Suitable for all skin types
- 100% Biodegradable
- 100% Natural
- No chemical preservatives
- No parabens
- No petrolatum
- No mineral oil
- No artificial aromas, fragrances or dyes
- No animal testing
- Outstanding ingredients
- Great price
- Fair availability
- Made in Canada
- Not suitable for strict vegans due to the beeswax
- Feels like vaseline on lips, and may not suit everyone’s preferences, especially men who do not want any shine to their lips