In search of more natural products for our bodies, one of my greatest quests has been to find a sodium laureth/lauryl sulfate free shampoo, and one that has more natural than artificial ingredients.
I am happy to say that the Giovanni line of hair care products does qualify under that criteria, and so in this review I want to introduce you to one of their shampoo varieties – the Tea Tree Triple Treat.
Giovanni Cosmetics is a family company that offers various products in their organic hair care and skin care lines. Giovanni Cosmetics uses formulas that incorporate vitamins, herbs, minerals, proteins, nutrients and the purest of essential oils. The patented Giovanni PureOrganic TechnologyTM represents a blend of exotic organic oils, ripe-harvested from renewable plants at the peak of their freshness. They live by the philosophy of creating only the purest of formulas for all of their products.
Their philosophy sounds wonderful but nonetheless requires a more in depth look to assess how natural their products really are. Hence in this review, let us focus on the Tea Tree Triple Treat shampoo.
This shampoo is classified as an invigorating type and the claims on the label are that it is enriched with certified organic botanicals. There are no animal by-products, no sodium laureth/lauryl sulfate and no harsh chemicals.
The shampoo states that it removes all traces of dirt, oil and build-up, increases scalp circulation, strengthens hair and alleviates dry, flaky scalp.
The scent of this shampoo is very herbal and minty. It does not lather anything like commercial shampoos and rightfully so as there is no SLS in it. (There are other natural shampoos that lather much better, even ones from the Giovanni line). So because of this I would also not recommend it for people who have really long, curly or frizzy hair. It is however the perfect shampoo for people with short, straight or fine hair.
The shampoo claims to tingle when washing with it and indeed it does initiate a cooling feeling on the skin. That is thanks to the tea tree oil. It may feel odd at first, but is very easy to get used to and can in fact be pleasant. It does clean very well and in general is a good product.
In terms of ingredients, they are pretty impressive as the major ingredients and the majority of them are organic and plant based. On Skin Deep Cosmetic Data Base it is rated as a 5 (moderate hazard), which based on the ingredients is a little surprising. However their list of ingredients does not seem to be identical to the ones on the bottle that I have either, which seem to be better.
(Plant ingredients are italicized)
- Aqua (Purified Water) with
- Organic Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)
- Organic Peppermint Oil (Mentha piperita)
- Organic Eucalyptus Oil (Eucalyptus officinalis)
- Organic Rosemary Oil (Rosmarinus officinalis)
- Organic Nettle Oil (Uritica dioica)
- Organic Thyme Oil (Thymus vulgaris)
- Birch Leaf Oil (Butela alba)
- Organic Chamomile Flower (Anthemis nobilus)
- Organic Clary (Salvia sclarea)
- Organic Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
- Organic Coltsfoot Leaf (Tussilago fargara)
- Organic Yarrow Oil (Achillea millefolium)
- Organic Mallow (Malva sylvestris)
- Organic Horsetail Oil (Equistetum arvense)
- Organic Soybean Protein (Glycine soja)
- C12-14 Olefin Sulfonate(coconut derived) – (0* low hazard)
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine – (5* moderate hazard)
- Tocopherol (Vitamin E) – (2* low hazard)
- Trace minerals
- Citric Acid (corn)
- Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate – (2* low hazard)
- Sodium Chloride (sea salt)
- Grapefruit Seed (citrus derived)
* Safety Rating based on Skin Deep Cosmetic Database
The shampoo comes in a sleek, rectangular, almost see through, plastic #2 bottle, which is recyclable once product is finished. The regular size is 250mL (8.5oz).
Price (as of this posting)
- $8 – $12 CAD per bottle at stores across Canada
- $8.69 CAD or $7.10 US per bottle at Well.ca
- $17.89 US for 3 bottles ($5.96 per bottle) at Amazon.com
- Widely available at grocery, pharmacy and health food stores across Canada and the US
- Widely available at many on-line stores for Canadian, US and international shoppers
- Pleasant Herbal/Mint Scent
- Excellent cleaning ability
- Improves scalp health
- Refreshing cooling sensation on scalp (and surrounding skin)
- No artificial colors
- No SLS
- Made with mostly organic, plant ingredients
- Fair Price
- Nice packaging
- Easily available
- Very low lathering and thus not likely suitable for all hair types
- Good ingredients, but not perfect (for example unspecified trace minerals)